Each week we’ll be posting a photograph from University Archives that shows a scene from KU’s past. We’ve also scanned more than 34,800 images from KU’s University Archives and made them available online; be sure to check them out!
James Naismith with his two sons, John Edwin and James Sherman, undated (before 1939).
University Archives Photos. Call Number: RG 66/22 James Naismith: Athletic Department:
Coaches and Staff (Photos). Click images to enlarge (redirect to Spencer’s digital collections).
These pictures were taken roughly in the vicinity of where Haworth Hall now stands. In the background is the power plant (now the Facilities Administration Building) and, behind it, Watson Library, which opened in 1924. Two photographs of Women’s Athletic Association softball players that we shared in February were taken in the same approximate location.
Head of Public Services
Melissa Kleinschmidt and Abbey Ulrich
Public Services Student Assistants